Jason Smith – Director of Navigate Finance and Wealth Pty Ltd.
Jason has over 30 years experience in the finance & banking industry after starting at the CBA in Roma in 1988 and worked his way up through the ranks to be a Manager in Business Banking before leaving to complete his Bachelor of Commerce degree at James Cook University in 2004.
In 2006 he started working at NAB as a Business Development Manager in the Broker Division, which over the years has seen him managing a panel of some 250 brokers from Gladstone through to Darwin.
In April 2018, Jason left NAB to start his own mortgage brokering/finance business with the focus of helping clients achieve their dreams using the knowledge and experience gained over his years of dealing with Small & Medium business.
1. What OnDeck loans do your clients usually take out? Tell us about your favourite deal?
This was my first deal with On Deck, we did an unsecured P&I business loan.
2. What was your most challenging/complex/memorable deal? Tell us about it.
The client was looking to purchase a 20yr old piece of machinery at an auction for approximately $20k. This kind of equipment is typically not accepted with any of my usual lenders.
On Deck were able to complete the deal with no security on a P&I basis over 18 months.
3. What advice would you give to brokers that don’t currently use specialist lenders?
Don’t say no until you double check, in this case the client will make the price of the machinery back within his first 2 jobs.
4. What have been the key benefits of using specialist lenders?
Helping the client secure finance in a hurry with minimal fuss.
5. Here at OnDeck we support all local businesses, small and medium – What is your favourite local business this month?
I have a few at the moment – our house is getting close to having Feb 2019 flood repairs completed – so am leaning on our builder, electrician, painter and plumber.